I don’t know about you but I am fairly easily distracted. The constant flow of information coming at me every day by things like email and social media makes focusing on one task increasingly difficult. I’ve put some processes in place and work really hard at staying focused and getting stuff done. I’m willing to bet that you too are experiencing the same struggles. It’s proven that the attention span of people is diminishing due to all the information we constantly have coming our way. I have composed my time five tips and processes I use in order to stay focused, be more productive and get stuff done!
1. Eliminate distractions// It’s SO important that you learn to turn off the distractions and focus. Sometimes that means physically removing yourself or the distraction. Often I will put my phone in another room while I work so that I am not tempted to look at it. If your attention keeps drifting to other things or places it will take much longer to effectively complete the task before you.
2. Wake up earlier// This is a hard one for some many people but I promise that if you can manage to give yourself just a little extra time in the morning you will be able to get so much more done. First thing in the morning your brain in clear and more focused, with even as little as thirty minutes you can knock one or two things off your daily list
3. Forty-Five Minute sprints// Set a timer for 45 minutes and force yourself to focus on one task just for 45 minutes. Turn your ringer off, put your phone on do not disturb and close your email for that 45 minutes. At the end of that 45-minute sprint give yourself a 15-minute break to check text messages, reply to emails or just get up and stretch. This works for work projects but I also use this method for house work. It works well because I know I only must focus for 45 minutes at a time and I can get so much accomplished in that time.
4. Turn off Social media notifications// This goes back to tip one. Social media is such a big distraction. I will pop onto Facebook to post to my business page and the next thing I know its thirty minutes later and I am watching video of a puppy and a baby…need I say more.
5. Set Daily Goals// Start your day with the end goal in mind. “Today I will accomplish this goal” and then work backwards, “what steps will I need to accomplish my goal”. Having the destination in mind will help focus your efforts and get more done.